Name Change Petitions

Name Change Petitions

Individuals in Massachusetts have the right to change their name to any name of their choice, as long as they are not doing so for a fraudulent or unlawful purpose.

Except for name changes occasioned by marriage, divorce, or adoption, persons who wish to legally change their name in Massachusetts must go through the courts.  The name change process begins by filing a name change petition in the appropriate Probate and Family Court.  Name change petitioners must have a certified copy of their birth certificate and be ready to explain the purpose and justification for the name change.  Common reasons for a name change include reverting to a maiden name, adopting a spouse's name, taking a middle name as a first name, or changing your name to match your gender identity or expression.

In the case of a marriage, a name change can be achieved by one or both spouses stating their name of preference on their marriage application and marriage license.  In the case of divorce, this is accomplished by one or both spouses ensuring that their name of choice is reflected in their divorce petition or final decree.  In the course of an adoption, the name of the child may be changed by making an election on the adoption petition.  If your name change does not fall into one of these exceptions, you must file a name change petition in the Probate and Family Court.

Our experienced attorneys can provide peace of mind by preparing and filing your petition and supporting documentation correctly, ensuring that all notices are properly published or waived and that a hearing before a judge is avoided unless absolutely necessary.

Once your name change petition is allowed, our office provides step-by-step instructions on changing your name with all governmental agencies, businesses, banks, and others.  We always remain available to answer questions and help as needed.

We charge a simple fixed fee for name change representation.  Contact one of our name change attorneys to inquire about our fees and how to get started.

Charles River Law Partners, LLC represents clients in Suffolk County, Middlesex County, Essex County, Norfolk County, Plymouth County, Bristol County, Worcester County, Hampden County, and Franklin County.
Legal Web Design by Zola Creative

© Charles River Law Partners, LLC  |  Disclaimer  |  Law Firm Website Design by Zola Creative

© Charles River Law Partners, LLC  |  Disclaimer  |  Law Firm Website Design by Amicus Creative

© 2017 Charles River Law Partners, LLC. | Disclaimer
1180 Washington Street, Suite 101, Boston, MA 02118
| Phone: 617-357-4898
13 Beach Street Extension, (by appointment only), Vineyard Haven, MA 02568
| Phone: 617-357-4898

Representative Cases | Family Law | Estate Planning & Probate | Litigation | Real Estate | LGBTQ | Adoption & Reproductive Law | | Login | About | Blog | News | Fees

Blog RSS

Site Development by
Zola Media